Audiobook Reviews from Audiobook-Heaven
Presents Saturday Matinee
-----Movie Review #1-----
Title: Grownups
Starring: Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider, David Spade
Narrator: James O’Hara
Running time: 102 minutes
Released in: 2010
Genre: Comedy
Filed in: Movie reviews
In 1978, a Jr. High basketball team wins the championship. In the post-game celebration at a nearby lake house, Coach Buzzer encourages his young players to face life the same way they faced that game. This would prove to be the only championship team of Coach Buzzer’s long career.
Thirty years later, Coach Buzzer dies, and the five starting players from his championship team, all with families of their own now, gather at the lake house for the Coach’s send-off.
I’m a huge fan of Adam Sandler, so I jumped at the chance to hear his newest movie. Grownups not only starred Sandler, it was written and produced by him as well. In light of all that, I’m not really sure what to make of this film. There were a few laughs to be sure, but there didn’t seem to be any plot at all. I’m not sure if Sandler was going for something more serious here. If he was, I didn’t get it. Some of Sandler’s old goofy humor was present however, and with the likes of Rob Schneider, David Spade, and Chris Rock to help out, you’re bound to get a few laughs.
-----Movie Review #2-----
Title: The Wedding Singer
Starring: Adam Sandler, Drew Barrymore
Narrator: uncredited
Running time: 95 minutes
Released in: 1998
Genre: comedy
Filed in: Movie reviews
Robbie Hart is the best wedding singer in town. In fact, he loves everything to do with weddings; he’s wanted to get married since the third grade. But when his fiancĂ©e, Linda, strands him at the altar, his life-long love affair with weddings suddenly comes crashing down. What’s a wedding singer to do? He can’t make his living doing bar-mitzvah’s, there are only four Jewish families in town. What Robbie really needs, is to find his true love.
Enter Julia Sullivan. Julia is new in town, and gets a job waitressing at the banquet hall where Robbie performs at wedding receptions. Julia is also engaged, although she is sometimes just not sure what it is she sees in Glen. Perhaps he is not the true love she once thought him to be.
The more time Robbie and Julia spend with each other, the more they begin to realize what they have been missing in life. But rich and powerful Glen will not just roll over and give up his girl to some wedding singer. And what will happen when Linda suddenly decides she wants Robbie back?
Like I said, I’m a big fan of Adam Sandler, and this is my favorite Adam Sandler movie. It’s funny, I like the chemistry between Sandler and Barrymore, and I love the 80’s theme of the movie. The Wedding Singer is, by the way, the first of two movies that paired up Adam and Drew, the other being 50 First Dates, another favorite of mine.
This movie also has a great music soundtrack. If you know Adam Sandler at all, then you already know he can really sing quite well, and he performs several songs in the movie in his role as a wedding singer. If you like 80’s music as much as I do, you really have to get this soundtrack, which comes in a two-volume set.
----------dotted line----------
All of the DVS movies I listen to come from the Three Blind Mice. They have hundreds of titles in mp3 format to choose from, and they can all be downloaded to your computer completely free. Visit Three Blind Mice by following the link on the sidebar.
Movie reviews by Steven Brandt.
Come back soon for more movie reviews from Audiobook-Heaven.








Never saw Grownups since I'm not a big Sandler fan. He's immature and childish, BUT to his defense, he IS funny!
ReplyDeleteI liked the Wedding Singer and he and Barrymore definitely have the chemistry thing going. I got to relish that chemistry in 50 First Dates! Geez, now I wanna watch that again. lol
Lovin' matinee Saturday!
Wanna go on a date? ;)